The ECR Community Shrink & OSA Group is a retailer-manufacturer working group focused on creating imaginative new ways to, together, better manage the problems of on-shelf availability, shrink and food waste. The rallying cry of the group is "Sell More and Lose Less" and participation in any of the regular meetings is free for any retailer or manufacturer.
Commissioning and disseminating new, independent and academic lead research, has been the cornerstone of the groups work. In fact, since its inception in 1999, the group have invested over €2 million in research, generating a considerable body of new knowledge as well as a wide range of practical tools and techniques to help the industry tackle the stubborn problems of out of stocks, shrink and food waste.
Some highlights of the research to date include:
- Total Retail Loss - a new, more holistic definition of retail losses.
- Food Waste - understanding the relationship between lost sales and retail food waste.
- Measuring Retail Losses - reviewing the ways in which retailers can put a value on the cost of loss.
- Eleven Habits of Low Shrink Retailers - identifying best practice, including the Loss Prevention Pyramid.
- Understanding Offenders - insights from interviews with dishonest retail staff.
- Risk Amplification - a review of the published literature on how store thieves can best be deterred from offending.
- Self-Scan - understanding the scale and nature of risks associated with self-scan technologies.
- The ECR Road Map - a proven systemic and systematic approach to collaborative problem solving.
- Waste Less, Sell More - 65 best practices to reduce retail food waste and sell more.
- Employee Engagement and Loss - understanding the impact of employee engagement on retail losses.
- Retail Losses in the News and Magazines Category - understanding the scale and nature of losses in the UK.
A pipeline of new research is scheduled for publication in 2018 including: the role of RFID; self-scan technologies and loss; managing retail returns; inventory record accuracy; and the impact of better collaboration on retail losses. Further new research will be commissioned in 2018, based on the requests and needs of its members, for publication in 2019.
The Group is part of the broader ECR Community that is made up of ECR working groups in 10+ countries across Europe . The ECR Community Shrink & OSA Group is also connected to similar organisations in USA and Australia, and for the Food Waste topic, the Consumer Goods Forum, based in Paris.